There’s such a doom and gloom focus in the media at the moment that it can be difficult to retain a positive, proactive perspective – especially if times have been tough in your business.
Regardless of how your business is faring right now, if you do want to succeed, you have to get out of the “crisis mentality” and forget about the doomsayers – RIGHT NOW.
It’s important to remember that it is possible to achieve stellar business results despite the current economic climate – in fact thousands of businesses are doing just that. However, it’s not possible if you’ve convinced yourself that your business is at the mercy of the economy.
Savvy business owners can find new ways to improve or grow their business in any economy. It’s just a matter of looking at the challenges in your business or industry as opportunities. However you will need to keep an open mind and be prepared to change direction, reinvent yourself, and inspire your team and business partners to do the same.
In reality, the success of your business is a function of your ability to make it a success, and whether you like it or not, that might mean:
- Leveraging your time – by leading rather than doing – so that you can spend more time working on your business rather than in it;
- Focusing on results and outcomes instead of effort or hours clocked;
- Accepting 100% responsibility for your business and your team – no excuses or ‘reasons’;
- Being brave enough to stop doing what you’ve always done (if it’s not working or no longer working as well as it could) and try a better approach;
- Saying YES more often to the things that matter and NO to those that don’t;
- Acknowledging that you are not an expert in every area of your business and then engaging professionals who are;
- Allocating time and money for self-education – seminars, books, training, workshops etc;
- Finally getting to grips with the “numbers” in your business and how you can improve them;
- Surrounding yourself with people smarter (or at least more objective about your business) than you – such as business coaches, mentors and peer advisory boards;
- Paying for professional advice before you need it; and
- Recognizing that difficult conditions demand even MORE persistence, determination and courage than ever before.
We didn’t say it was going to be easy…
But we are here to help. If you want to speak with one of our advisors, call 1300 85 64 77.